Cybercrime. As if running a business or agency doesn’t come with enough issues, concerns, or obstacles, this elusive threat is now every management team’s worst nightmare. This growing menace has made cybersecurity a hot commodity in today’s marketplace.
Experts estimate that a ransomware attack occurs every 11 seconds in 2021 with ransomware being the go-to method of attack.1
CCS Learning Academy has technology and training experts, so we see the mad scramble for cybersecurity resources every day. We also see how hackers are adapting and adopting tactics to counter technology’s continued advancements. It’s scary!
As with any threat, the best way to protect yourself is to be informed and prepared. For business leaders, this means knowing how to spot thoroughly qualified cybersecurity professionals and how to select truly effective training for your staff.
We know there are a ton of cybersecurity trainings, certifications, and awareness courses out there. How do you know which one(s) will benefit your tech team, your staff, and your organization? What do the certifications mean when you see them on a resume? All these cybersecurity pros come across as flashy, cool, and tough. Which ones really know their stuff?
Nearly 80% of senior IT employees and security leaders believe their companies lack sufficient protection against cyber-attacks despite increased IT security investments made in 2020.2
We can actually help. We’ve compiled a list of the top 10 cybersecurity training entities and certifications to expedite your decision-making. Our choices are based on our experience in the tech sector, the impact these courses and credentials have on individual ecosystems, and the reputation and recognition each learning developer has in the industry.
Our Top 10 Cybersecurity Trainings and Credentials Picks
- Cybersecurity Awareness Training from KnowBe4 delivers a new approach to organizational training. With an emphasis on detecting and responding to ransomware attacks, it uses an innovative, integrated platform that allows employers to track and rate employee progress, automate simulated phishing attacks, and access an extensive learning library.
Why we chose it: It’s the most effective team training on the market. It uses real-world scenarios in the daily platform, which ensures employees really learn to be vigilant and helps organizations move the needle on their security awareness initiatives.
- CISSP (Certified Information Systems Security Professional) is an advanced certification for those in upper management roles, such as IT Director/Manager, Security Auditor, Security Architect, Security Analyst, Security Systems Engineer, Chief Information Security Officer, Security Director, and Network Architect. It indicates that the certified individual possesses advanced knowledge of implementing and maintaining security programs.
Why we chose it: This is a globally recognized certification issued by (ISC)2, an industry-leading accreditation provider. Employees holding a CISSP certification are genuine cybersecurity specialists who can identify and mitigate risks, and work with stakeholders to create a protected environment. If the organization you’re looking at doesn’t offer this certificate, pass.
- CompTIA Security+ is a core certification for IT professionals getting started in the cybersecurity field. It’s a strong minimum level credential that indicates the holder can plan, implement, and maintain security regardless of vendor format.
Why we chose it: This is a tried-and-true certification that’s a good fit for IT professionals with 2-3 years’ networking experience. It maps to CompTIA’s Career Roadmap making future career development easy to plan. Again, this is an offering to look for when choosing who will train your team.
- CISM (Certified Information Security Manager) by ISACA is a solid mid-level certification for those with 3-5 years of information security experience. It indicates the holder is stepping away from information security’s hands-on realm and into its management echelon. These professionals are prepared for information security governance, program development and management, incident management, and risk assessment.
Why we chose it: ISACA is an industry-leading accreditation provider that specializes in security certifications. Employees with this credential have dedicated significant time and energy to the cybersecurity field and are most likely interested in becoming seasoned specialists.
- Certified CISO (Chief Information Security Officer) indicates a top-level information security executive. Developed by E-Council, it’s the first certification of its kind and is designed to groom upcoming CISOs in all aspects of the role, including mentoring, implementing financial strategies, and conducting day-to-day operations. Including a professional with this credential on your management team is a real boon to your organization.
Why we chose it: As an organization committed to fostering outstanding technology professionals, we like this credential’s attention to all facets of this executive role. There’s more to being an effective leader than technical knowledge. This accreditation shows the holder has this in mind.
- CEH (Certified Ethical Hacking) helps cybersecurity professionals tap into hacker thinking. Developed by EC-Council, this mid-level certification is great for security officers, auditors, site administrators, and anyone responsible for network infrastructure integrity. It strengthens established security measures and adds a new perspective that most cybercriminals don’t expect.
Why we chose it: Hackers are becoming more ingenious every day. IT professionals who know how to think hacker-style add depth to any organization’s cybersecurity plan. We like that this course includes hands-on labs that simulate real-life scenarios and results in an internationally recognized certification.
- PECB ISO trainings and certifications are highly regarded in the tech sector. PECB specializes in cybersecurity training with courses and exams that cover all areas of the niche, including risk management, business continuity, information security, and more. Professionals who have PECB training on their resumes are considered well-versed and effective in the cybersecurity space.
Why we chose it: PECB has been knocking cybersecurity training out of the park! They go to great lengths to keep their trainings and certifications up-to-date and relevant. Given how fast technology changes, we give this effort a lot weight, which is why we’ve added it to our course catalog.
- CND (Certified Network Defender) indicates the holder is capable of implementing and managing day-to-day cybersecurity and defense efforts. It’s a certification appropriate for entry- and mid-level team members or anyone who needs an understanding of core security principles and practices.
Why we chose it: We like EC-Council’s CND certification because it spans experience levels making it easy to deliver as a group training if necessary. It’s a great way to ensure the entire team is on the same page or help individuals develop a solid cybersecurity knowledge base.
Only 45% of organizations provide employees with formal security awareness training that is mandatory for all employees.3
- SSCP (Systems Security Certified Professional) is another solid mid-level certification that indicates the holder has the skills and knowledge to properly respond to a security incident or forensic investigation. These individuals facilitate effective Business Continuity Planning and Disaster Recovery Planning.
Why we chose it: We’re including this course on our top 10 list for two reasons: it’s a well-recognized mid-level certification and it meets Department of Defense baseline certification and training requirements. It’s a versatile credential for professionals and organizations that want to work on federal government projects.
- Cybersecurity bootcamps are a great way to earn cybersecurity training if you’re crunched for time. They offer a deep dive into all things cybersecurity and usually cover industry-leading curricula and applications. These certificates of completion are not as universally recognized as a technology certification, but they do indicate a solid knowledge base and high-level capabilities. They’re great for entry and junior-level professionals.
Why we chose it: We’re all busy. Cybersecurity bootcamps allow tech professionals to quickly acquire the skills and knowledge they need to be effective. The bootcamps also accommodate team/group learning easily and affordably.
Technology training from technology pros
If you’ve been tasked with procuring professional training, you know there’s a burgeoning number of providers out there who offer general business trainings that include some cybersecurity offerings. However, most of these jack-of-all-trade training providers excel at training only.
Their expertise is not specific to the tech sector itself, so don’t look to them for your technology training.
CCS Learning Academy is designed by technology professionals for technology professionals. Our overarching mission is to support businesses committed to fostering a culture of learning and keen to bring the best cybersecurity talent on board. We do this by providing the training needed in today’s marketplace. We follow emerging developments, track current trends, and take note of what’s actually happening in the field. We adjust our course catalog to align with the immediate needs and demands of organizations.
Along with our technology expertise, we offer:
- Competitive pricing
- Tailored learning experiences
- Flexible scheduling
- Staff augmentation services
- Unbeatable customer service
Cybercrime isn’t going away. If you want to protect your organization, building a savvy workforce is essential. Whether it’s fostering high-level cybersecurity awareness or hiring credentialed tech professionals, familiarity with the latest and most effective training and certification available facilitates your efforts.
Need more information about cybersecurity training? Have questions about the trainings and certifications listed here? Contact us! Our experts are happy to help you find the most impactful solution for your organization.